Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares - Rachel Cohn, David Levithan The novel starts off in a bookstore. Not a bad launching point. It starts off with an angsty teenage boy named Dash finding a red moleskin notebook, with a list of dares inside. Intrigued, he goes through with them and then leaves a list of his own inside. From there, the two narrators--Lily and Dash--trade the moleskin notebook off, each fulfilling the others' requested dares. As the dares escalate, and the two of them gradually learn more about each other, the novel really begins to take off. This goes without saying, but this book is really funny. Not many romantic books are, which is why I generally don't take to most relationship novels. But Cohn and Levithan are awesome, so the book is both funny and sweet. And, no pun intended, this book is pretty daring. For one, the two love interests don't meet in person until the final stretch of the book and when they do it is not remotely romantic. (Don't worry. This isn't a spoiler. You won't see it coming.) In fact, all the pressure is taken off of the book by breaking the typical relationship cliches. However, I am only giving this three stars. I loved Rachel Cohn and David Levithan's first novel, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, and my expectations were very high for this novel. In that respect, while this is a fantastic Christmas story, it was still not as great as Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. I still really enjoyed it, and recommend it to anyone who loves a great story.