Saving June

Saving June - Hannah Harrington Saving June is about the narrator, Harper, figuring her way through life after her sister's suicide. The best parts of the novel involved dialogue between Harper and Laney. Their friendship was refreshing and, while they often talked like stuffy adults do instead of teenagers, I found them to be very relatable. The writing was a little oversimplified. Oftentimes Harrington would repeat herself, or overexplain a passage of dialogue with a Harper internal monologue. I don't know if this was because Harrington was afraid readers wouldn't pick up on certain aspects of the story, but it was unnecessary. I felt like too much was told to me instead of shown. I also thought that the love interest aspect of the story made the story drag. I don't know if this is because I found June and Laney so interesting, but the romance felt a little forced. There was the Big Misunderstanding that derails the romance, which was surprisingly cliched for such an interesting concept for a story. Overall, I give it two stars for an emotionally resonant story idea.