Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking - Susan Cain This book was therapeutic to read. Susan Cain delves into the science behind extroversion and introversion. While this may sound stiff and boring, I assure you it's not. Cain did do painstaking research, from observations in fifth-grade classrooms to Harvard's MBA program to thirty-year-old case studies, but she translates all of the DNA coding and statistics into compelling laymen's terms. This book validated a lot of quirky personality traits that either I myself possess or I recognize in other people. I've always felt that I have to justify my quiet time, and get criticized by some of my friends for running off to read rather than socialize. But as Cain explains, some people are just wired that way; some people get so exhausted by social interactions that by the end of the day, they have to recharge in solitude. She points out that socializing is good, and that shyness shouldn't be an excuse to hide from others, but that everyone has their comfort levels and that each should be respected. She covered everything in this book: extrovert-introvert marriages, extroverted parents dealing with introverted children, introverts working in extroverted careers, extrovert-focused education in America (versus other countries), and the positive impact introverts can make through quiet power. Disclaimer: This is a book for everyone. I promise, Cain isn't ragging on extroverts. But she does show that everybody has their own personalities, people who like to take the stage and those who prefer to work behind the scenes, and that both qualities have their merit.